Thursday, September 8, 2011
Cops, Scams and Depression
Brothers and Sisters:
I am going to attempt to be brief despite having much to cover – please read on.
First off, most if not all of you received a bogus/scam email advising that I was stranded in Scotland. Here’s the gist for both this incident and any future such issues: my email account was completely hacked by folks in Nigeria (yea – Nigeria)! Not only did the hackers send a bogus email to everyone on my contact list, but they also deleted all my emails, folders, contacts, etc. before changing the language to Greek and changing my password as well. They also had all incoming/outgoing emails forwarded to a bogus email address: fullarrnor instead of fullarmor (see how close rrn is to rm – and be sure you don’t have the former in on your contact list)! I was finally able to get everything back to English and Yahoo restored my account save for a 24-hour period of incoming emails. I’ve also taken some additional security steps but know this – if I’m ever truly “stranded” in Scotland (the haggis was wonderful!) or anywhere else I have a great wife and family who will help me out! Moreover, I recommend some “police work 101” for anything suspicious – such as a simple Google search of the scammer’s phone number (results reveal the scam). Do NOT call listed numbers as they may very well result in HUGE charges to you phone bills. All-in-all a very messy business this! I apologize for any consternation on your parts but I also thank all those who reached out to make sure I was OK. To that end, please add thecenturionministry@yahoo.com to your contacts as I will be using it for the time being as my primary ministry email.
Secondly, God had different plans for us at last week’s meeting that resulted in us some pretty powerful interaction instead of my planned study on “The Warrior’s Psalm” (Psalm 91). I will still be teaching this at a future date so stay tuned. That aside, a trusted and wise brother/partner in ministry provided the following after our study that serves as an outstanding template for all those around the country/world also leading and/or participating in their own law enforcement fellowships:
“Officers won't want to miss a Christian law enforcement Bible study and fellowship if it: (1) helps them see and share what God is doing in their personal world,
(2) develops group unity, and
(3) is goal oriented (evangelism, discipleship, spiritual growth, etc.) to encourage each person to be what God wants them to be.”
Amen to that!
This week (tonight, 1900 hours, High School Room, Calvary South Denver in Littleton) I’ll be teaching on the much-anticipated and very real issue of depression in law enforcement (and in general, for that matter) and the biblical approach to dealing with it. I’ll of course provide a detailed recap in next week’s newsletter and here on our website for our world-wide audience and will include a list of excellent resources. Stay tuned!
Speaking of this website, please check back frequently for the latest updates, new links, prayer requests, meeting schedules and so much more.
_________________________
National Announcements:
(1) The 2011 Fellowship of Christian Peace Officers Conference is set for October 7-9 in Chicago. We have an outstanding lineup of speakers and exceptional fellowship/networking with other Christian officers and their spouses from all over the United States and Canada. Go to www.FCPO.org and click on the conference link at the top. Hope to see you there!
(2) Courageous opens September 30th and a number of us are working hard on organizing law enforcement outreach events for opening night and beyond. Go to www.courageousthemovie.com/ for more (and I’ll have further in upcoming newsletters and on our website).
(3) Patriots Day (9-11): This Sunday is of course the 10th anniversary of the September 9th terrorist attacks on our nation. Most of us will be working that day so let’s resolve to cover each other in prayer whilst also being extra vigilent (be sure that both your physical and spiritual armor -- Ephesians 6:10-18 – is firmly in place). I’ll have more in next week’s newsletter…
(4) Faith & Policing! Check out this excellent PoliceOne.com article (includes my own comments as well): www.policeone.com/police/community/articles/4304692-Policeman-pastor-finds-similarities-in-faith-and-law-enforcement/?fb_ref=homepage
(5) Dep. Chris Dewey’s Killer Convicted! I received the news this week and corresponded with Chris’s widow Emily (she is doing OK – glad this issue is almost concluded). Party will be sentenced to life in prison. See www.wdaz.com/event/article/id/10375/ (and pray that God’s will be done in terms of the appeal).
Denver-Area News:
(1) Calvary Chapel Regional Men’s Conference (www.calvaryaurora.org/whats-new/mens-conference/) is set for this Saturday, September 10th, from 8AM to 2:30 PM (doors open at 0715) at Calvary Chapel Aurora. I’m encouraging all Denver-area officers (and men in general) to join me for a special time of biblical study to grow and encourage us in these difficult times. Speakers include Chuck Smith, Raul Reis, Ed Taylor, Gino Geraci, Lonnie Trujillo and more! Contact fellow Colorado state criminal investigator and ministry leader Tony Avila at tony@calvaryaurora.org or 909-660-0114 for more information. It’s FREE -- see you there!
(2) Transformed Conference! Are you ON FIRE for GOD (you should be)? Saturday, September 17th from 12:30-4:30 at Calvary South Denver in Littleton (www.CalvaryCSD.org). Register and obtain more information about this FREE event at www.livingwaters.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=449. Bring your spouse to this one!
(3) Law Enforcement Training: The Colorado State Investigators Association is hosting a white collar crime training conference on October 5-6. Outstanding presenters/subject matter along with 16 hours of POST credit. Go to www.CSIAinc.org and click on the conference link. I serve on the CSIA board and can therefore vouch for this fine organization. Hope to see you there!
That’s it for this week folks. Stay frosty, fly your flags, and stay in the fight under the command of our true Commander in Chief (initials are “JC” and not “BO”).
I am going to attempt to be brief despite having much to cover – please read on.
First off, most if not all of you received a bogus/scam email advising that I was stranded in Scotland. Here’s the gist for both this incident and any future such issues: my email account was completely hacked by folks in Nigeria (yea – Nigeria)! Not only did the hackers send a bogus email to everyone on my contact list, but they also deleted all my emails, folders, contacts, etc. before changing the language to Greek and changing my password as well. They also had all incoming/outgoing emails forwarded to a bogus email address: fullarrnor instead of fullarmor (see how close rrn is to rm – and be sure you don’t have the former in on your contact list)! I was finally able to get everything back to English and Yahoo restored my account save for a 24-hour period of incoming emails. I’ve also taken some additional security steps but know this – if I’m ever truly “stranded” in Scotland (the haggis was wonderful!) or anywhere else I have a great wife and family who will help me out! Moreover, I recommend some “police work 101” for anything suspicious – such as a simple Google search of the scammer’s phone number (results reveal the scam). Do NOT call listed numbers as they may very well result in HUGE charges to you phone bills. All-in-all a very messy business this! I apologize for any consternation on your parts but I also thank all those who reached out to make sure I was OK. To that end, please add thecenturionministry@yahoo.com to your contacts as I will be using it for the time being as my primary ministry email.
Secondly, God had different plans for us at last week’s meeting that resulted in us some pretty powerful interaction instead of my planned study on “The Warrior’s Psalm” (Psalm 91). I will still be teaching this at a future date so stay tuned. That aside, a trusted and wise brother/partner in ministry provided the following after our study that serves as an outstanding template for all those around the country/world also leading and/or participating in their own law enforcement fellowships:
“Officers won't want to miss a Christian law enforcement Bible study and fellowship if it: (1) helps them see and share what God is doing in their personal world,
(2) develops group unity, and
(3) is goal oriented (evangelism, discipleship, spiritual growth, etc.) to encourage each person to be what God wants them to be.”
Amen to that!
This week (tonight, 1900 hours, High School Room, Calvary South Denver in Littleton) I’ll be teaching on the much-anticipated and very real issue of depression in law enforcement (and in general, for that matter) and the biblical approach to dealing with it. I’ll of course provide a detailed recap in next week’s newsletter and here on our website for our world-wide audience and will include a list of excellent resources. Stay tuned!
Speaking of this website, please check back frequently for the latest updates, new links, prayer requests, meeting schedules and so much more.
_________________________
National Announcements:
(1) The 2011 Fellowship of Christian Peace Officers Conference is set for October 7-9 in Chicago. We have an outstanding lineup of speakers and exceptional fellowship/networking with other Christian officers and their spouses from all over the United States and Canada. Go to www.FCPO.org and click on the conference link at the top. Hope to see you there!
(2) Courageous opens September 30th and a number of us are working hard on organizing law enforcement outreach events for opening night and beyond. Go to www.courageousthemovie.com/ for more (and I’ll have further in upcoming newsletters and on our website).
(3) Patriots Day (9-11): This Sunday is of course the 10th anniversary of the September 9th terrorist attacks on our nation. Most of us will be working that day so let’s resolve to cover each other in prayer whilst also being extra vigilent (be sure that both your physical and spiritual armor -- Ephesians 6:10-18 – is firmly in place). I’ll have more in next week’s newsletter…
(4) Faith & Policing! Check out this excellent PoliceOne.com article (includes my own comments as well): www.policeone.com/police/community/articles/4304692-Policeman-pastor-finds-similarities-in-faith-and-law-enforcement/?fb_ref=homepage
(5) Dep. Chris Dewey’s Killer Convicted! I received the news this week and corresponded with Chris’s widow Emily (she is doing OK – glad this issue is almost concluded). Party will be sentenced to life in prison. See www.wdaz.com/event/article/id/10375/ (and pray that God’s will be done in terms of the appeal).
Denver-Area News:
(1) Calvary Chapel Regional Men’s Conference (www.calvaryaurora.org/whats-new/mens-conference/) is set for this Saturday, September 10th, from 8AM to 2:30 PM (doors open at 0715) at Calvary Chapel Aurora. I’m encouraging all Denver-area officers (and men in general) to join me for a special time of biblical study to grow and encourage us in these difficult times. Speakers include Chuck Smith, Raul Reis, Ed Taylor, Gino Geraci, Lonnie Trujillo and more! Contact fellow Colorado state criminal investigator and ministry leader Tony Avila at tony@calvaryaurora.org or 909-660-0114 for more information. It’s FREE -- see you there!
(2) Transformed Conference! Are you ON FIRE for GOD (you should be)? Saturday, September 17th from 12:30-4:30 at Calvary South Denver in Littleton (www.CalvaryCSD.org). Register and obtain more information about this FREE event at www.livingwaters.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=449. Bring your spouse to this one!
(3) Law Enforcement Training: The Colorado State Investigators Association is hosting a white collar crime training conference on October 5-6. Outstanding presenters/subject matter along with 16 hours of POST credit. Go to www.CSIAinc.org and click on the conference link. I serve on the CSIA board and can therefore vouch for this fine organization. Hope to see you there!
That’s it for this week folks. Stay frosty, fly your flags, and stay in the fight under the command of our true Commander in Chief (initials are “JC” and not “BO”).